Design & Manufacture of a Current Transformer for a Heavy Equipment Manufacturer
(Click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Custom Magnetics, Inc. has been manufacturing custom designed transformers and coils for nearly 40 years. We were contacted by a heavy equipment manufacturer in the locomotive industry to fabricate a current transformer. Because this transformer is used on a locomotive, the shock and vibration requirements are very stringent. Our team of experts designed the case and mounting hardware, and also provided epoxy vacuum impregnation and potting to manufacture these transformers. When completed, these products measured 3.25" x 2.0" x 3.5" and easily met the 1% accuracy transformer design requirement. The new current transformers were an unqualified success, with shock and vibration related failure now reduced to .05% or less. Our customer saved the major expense of replacing current transformers on locomotives. We completed this project in its entirety with a turnaround time of 4 - 8 weeks, with 5000 of these products delivered to our client in Illinois.
For more information about this project, please see the following table or contact us directly.
Current Transformer Project Highlights
- Project Name
- Current Transformer
- Project Description
- This current transformer is used on a locomotive.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
Design - Case and Mounting Hardware
- Design Requirement
- Current transformer design had an easy to meet requirement of 1% accuracy.
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 3.25in x 2.0in x 3.5in
- Material Used
- Epoxy for Impregnation
- Shock and vibration related failure rate is now reduced to 0.05% or less.
- The company has saved the serious cost of replacing current transformers on locomotives.
- In Process Testing/Inspection Performed
- Check Turns and Polarity, DC Resistance, Hi-Pot
- Industry for Use
- Heavy Equipment Manufacturer - Locomotive
- 5000 pcs/year
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 4-8 weeks
- Delivery Location
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications